I suffer from persistent acne problems?
Question: I suffer from persistent acne problems. I am a male 34 years old and have had acne problems since I was 16 years old. My acne is mostly on my face and a lot is found on my upper back. To the point I am ashamed of it. What can I do to make it go away?
Answer: Hi. I have received and read your question. You are suffering from acne vulgaris but since it is now showing up on your upper back and has become a problem you need to deal with this. Proper hygiene and washing is the first step that needs to be taken.
- Use a mild soap and avoid scented, medicated soap.
- While washing the face, the skin of the face must not be scrubbed roughly. It should be sponged gently.
- Wash your face three or four times a day with plain water – soap is to be used only twice a day.
- Avoid exposure to dust, dirt or oily cosmetics.
- I would also recommend to avoid fatty foods.
- Do not squeeze the acne as it may leave a scar permanently.
As far as treatment is concerned you should consult a dermatologist. Possible medication that will be recommended by your doctor may include:
Doxycycline 100 mg two times a day. Ibuprofen 400 mg two times for five days. Isotretinoin once a day for 15 days. Retino-A (Tretinoin) locally at night.
Dr. Deepak Patel