My boyfriend and I are thalassemia carriers need advice regarding getting pregnant?
Iam a thalassemia carrier and my boyfriend is also a thalassemia carrier.so because of having a 25% chance of a thalassemia major baby we are planning to breakup.but my opinion is after getting pregnant i can do cvs and clarify whether the baby has got thalassemia major or may be a healthy baby.so that cvs will work so or not in this case.please doc give me an advice
Yes CVS and Amniocentesis can be done to early detect thalassemia , CVS is done at 11 weeks and Amniocentesis is done at 17 weeks
You guys should not break up in my opinion
CVS and amniocentesis are good methods to detect Thalassemia major or trait or minor in 1st trimester.
There is 25 % chance of a baby with thalassemia major. So you should be optimistic and think of 75 % chances of not having a baby with thalassemia major.
in My opinion you should consider the 75 % of having good healthy children,do the CVS and amniocentesis test so you can make an early decision,but this is not a cause of being apart..