I noticed fasciculation in my calves and some very very mild cramps?
Since 1 Month I noticed fasciculation in my calves and some very very mild cramps.
I get also twitches all over in tights, biceps triceps, eye, temple but they are rare and go away.
Actions I took (given I’ve been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder 2 months ago):
1st week: Went to see 1st neurologist which dismissed ALS/MND from the beginning based on a quick clinical exam and as he expressed “They way I walked in”.
2nd week: Saw a board neurologist with 50 years o experience is his field which he dismissed ALS/MND as well and he didn’t even considered necessarly to do an EMG study.
3rd week: Finally found a neuro-muscular specialist with 10 years of experience which agreed to do an EMG in 3 limbs (Legs, Right hand) and a nerve conduction study.
What he told me (still waiting for a final report yet):
1. No evidence of MND , he clearly stated on a white paper for me to be re-assured.
2. He suspects a lumbar radiculopathy (I do have some pain around L4-L5)
3. A pinched ulnar nerve (light) in the right elbow (according ncs) which doesn’t bother me.
4. 3rd clinical exam without any clinical weakness or athrophy noticed by all doctors.
The reason I am experiencing this anxiety is that my DAD died of ALS in 2003.
Mom mentioned that a neurologist made a genetic test for me and he found that I have no predisposition. (But I really don’t remember if I did had the genetic test or not).
Dad was sporadic I think as nobody from it’s family had any neuro diseases in the past (He has 2 sisters and 1 brother).
Grandparents were ok.
Last doctor said no EMG is required for follow up, but if I can do a spine MRI (no contrast) In 3 months would be good albeit is nothing to worry about now.
So, finally my questions are. (Being 30 years old). (Condensing)
1. Could EMG miss ALS/PLS or any MND ? If it can, what Is the chance? ( found 2,3 cases on the internet with people which claimed they started with fascics and then weakness ).
2. Could EMG study misdiagnose?
FIND THE BEST DOCTORS NEAR YOU
Cardiologists – Cosmetic Surgeons – Dermatologists – Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists – Gastroenterologists – Gynecologists/Obstetricians – Neurologists – Oncologists – Orthopedic surgeons – Pediatricians – Psychiatrists – Pulmonologists – Urologists