I have chronic lumbar back pain, would surgery make me regain a healthy life?
I am 57 year old male residing in the upper midwest. I’ve had chronic lumbar back pain since 1995 approximately and carpal tunnel, in both hands, since 1993. In 2004 I was hit from behind by a speeding truck, adding chronic cervical pain to my cocktail of chronic pain conditions.
Two years ago I was informed by a neurologist I saw at the time that I might need lower back surgery. However, he proposed an initial treatment regimen consisting only of epidural steroid injections for both lumbar and cervical infractions as well as streoid injections for both hands.
Then he suddenly resigned and I have not had access to a neurologist since then.
You can see from my age that I’m about past what I consider child-rearing age in that I badly want to start a family but my condition makes that impossible because I can only lie comfortably on my back and stomach for approximately 10 minutes, at times a bit longer or shorter.
My point is that sexual intercourse is and has been out of the question for me for two decades.
QUESTION: What are the chances that surgery and/or any other medical procedure will make it possible for me to enjoy sexual intercourse in the immediate future?
I am currently taking: Nabumetone, Gabapentin, Amitriptyline, Tramadol, Flexiril, and Citalopram
Please I need your MRI images of neck and back to be able to give you an answer ..
Generally talking I do not know why did not you go initially with physiotherapy ..as your case is chronic.. Surgery is not a good choice or epidural injection also.
Traction ..ultra sound. Tens and exercises can help you live a life with tolerated or without pain at all.
Surgery have a 25 % chance on making you normal and enjoy life, 50 % chance of no improvement , 25 % chance that you get worse
Try standing on your heels with toes directed upwards ( dorsi flextion of ankle ) with extended knees while leaning forwards , maintain this position for 30 secounds , if pain goes away then professional physical therapy can fix you 100% , if not then take the surgery risk
first thing you need to do is get an MRI of the lumbar spine.
No doctor in the world will advice on the surgery without having a look at MRI.
Unless the MRI shows a huge slipped disc or other major issues with the spine,you should not got for surgery.
simple measures like physiotherapy,lumbar traction,laser therapy,back strengthening exercises etc can help.
use lumbar belt.
getting a surgery done will most probably not have a positive effect on your sexual life.
GENERALLY SPEAKING,SURGERIES PERFORMED OVER SPINE CAUSE MORE HARM THAN BENEFITS,EXCEPT IN A FEW CASES.
I WOULD SUGGEST YOU TO AVOID UNDERGOING SURGERY AND GO FOR BACK EXERCISES AND PHYSIOTHERAPY REGIMEN.
i don’t think getting a surgery on back done is gonna help with your sexual life.
only if have a major issue with your lumbar spine,then you can go for surgery,provided you get a MRI done .
Put visiting a physiotherapist in your priorities before choosing the surgical options, as specific physical therapy can improve your sexual capabilities beside your back pain complain….